hey i need to let you all know that it is important that you learn how to fall.
you may be thinking, “what the heck do you mean?” but i am telling you. it’s important.
after watching my mother fall incorrectly when I was about 18 ( which resulted in her losing teeth and requiring a cane for a while ), her doctor told us the importance of learning to fall correctly
and just now, i slipped in the kitchen. but because i learned how to fall, i have a bruise on my arm and nothing else.
This is important for ALL people, not just the elderly.
- slap your palms/forearms on the ground. let them take the force of the fall so you don’t break your wrists.
- turn your head to the side so you don’t break your nose or damage your teeth
- try not to let your body smack on the ground. again, use your arms, thighs, and shins. NOT YOUR HIPS or chest.
- Try to bend your knees or squat as you go down.
- Tuck in. Fold yourself up with your knees toward your chest.
- Make a habit of putting your hands behind your head so you can keep your head from smacking the ground.
- Slap the ground with your forearms ( left arm if falling left, right if falling right ). This will help avoid landing on your hips.
- Tuck in. DO NOT TWIST.